Tuesday 14 May 2013

Hangin' Tough in Huaraz!

El Horno
Pisco Sour
Intimidating
Control

Huaraz is an extremely popular place of winter sports and adventure. Many visitors arrive here to go rock-climbing, hiking, mountain-biking, snowboarding and also to visit the glaciers and mountains of Cordillera Blanca, located in Huascarán National Park.

Two of the group, Francois and Mikkel, decided to embark on a full day trek called Laguna 69. Francois was in training for doing the Lares trek before Machu Picchu, whereas Mikkel just wanted the challenge of doing the trek. I balked at the idea of trekking not only at altitude but in very 'I-might-die-from-heat-exhaustion' weather. Bear in mind, this is the highest mountain range in the world outside of the Himalayas! I've got a few loose screws, but I'm not completely nuts...yet!

Instead of trekking, myself and three others opted to go rock climbing. We jumped in a taxi with our guide Walter and headed to the outskirts of town. The next half hour was spent scrambling down scree slopes, leaping across rocks bridging a fast flowing river and walking up a steep grassy slope. Sheesh, I was sure I'd signed up for rock climbing and not a mountain obstacle course. Unfortunately Vanessa, being all of five foot, was not able to make the boulder jump across the river, so we lost her at this stage as she decided this activity was not for her and returned to the village.

Anthony, Heather and myself continued to the base of the cliff and got geared up. I was the only novice at rock-climbing, as the others had done some indoor stuff before. Was a bit apprehensive when the only instruction I was given, once harnessed up, was 'Vamos'. Slowly I made my way up the cliff-face, I was stumped for quite some time, the cliff-face was intimidating and I could not find any grips whatsoever to help me progress. At this stage I was reprimanding myself for agreeing to do such a physically demanding activity - I have zero upper body strength, and while I know it's all in the legs, lets face it, when you're a newbie you try pulling yourself up with your arms, it's the logical thing to do.

Despite a lot of frustration on my part, Anthony and Heather were great and assisted me greatly by suggesting that I go back a little and try an alternative route. That done, I was soon slowly motoring up the entire cliff-face. While I did the route a few times, I never got completely comfortable with it. My brain would not let up about how dangerous it seemed, as clinging to a rock face 20m above the ground, with only a tiny rope supporting you should you fall, is terrifying. Hmmm, not sure if this activity is one that I'll be repeating in a hurry.

Abseiling down the cliff was great fun, this I have no problem with whatsoever, go figure! I get that that just contradicts my previous statement as here you are completely dangling on a tiny rope and putting all your weight on it, while moving down rapidly. But I suppose it's the fear of falling while climbing that I don't like. The idea of not being in control - it really unnerves me.

We had a lovely group meal at El Horno, another farewell do for Pete. Odyssey footed the food bill and Pisco Sours were flowing. We presented Pete with a signed Ukelele from all of the group. I'm sure it will take pride of place in his home, once he gets one! Realistically he will probably use it, akin Pete Townshend, to demonstrate to his group of Ukelele players what will happen to their instruments if they cross paths and annoy him.





















No comments:

Post a Comment