Saturday 25 May 2013

On Flying Form in Sillustani

Eventful
Pan-pipes
Impact
Colossal

On returning to Cusco after Machu Picchu we took in some of the local sights. This city also has a Plaza de Armas, and it is very beautiful. Jeanne and myself bumped into William, our Lares guide, and he invited us to his parents restaurant to meet his family. Since we had heard so much about them during the trek, we headed off to put faces to names we had become familiar with. It was a lovely gesture and we had a very nice time there.

Next we headed off to see some artesian markets as Jeanne wanted to buy real pan-pipes for her son, who is quite musical. Francois also wanted to buy shed-load of scarves for his relations. Despite the fact that it was Mother's Day and a lot of places were closed, we managed to accomplish our tasks.

Our final meal was again had at the Irish bar. Feedback from the non-trekkers, who had been in Cusco four days, was that it really was the best place to get food in the city. I opted to try the traditional shepard's pie and OMG it was fantastic; beautifully presented, deliciously tasty and the portion size was colossal. I could have done with another few days in order to work my way through their menu.

Leaving Cusco, we visited the Sillustani ruins, which are towering burial mounds of the Colla kings, whose armies fought the Incas. In a turn up for the books we ended up bush-camping on the grounds of the Sillustani car park. A few less hardy souls 'upgraded' for a token fee and the novelty to sleep on a concrete floor in a museum that housed artefacts and skeletons. Heather and myself opted to camp outside on the grass. Even though we are at altitude our sleeping bags are up to the challenge of keeping us warm. Mercifully the guard even left the toilet block unlocked so that we could use the facilities during the night as required - a real luxury for bush-camping!

Usually on arriving at a camp I get the bedding sorted immediately and let the mattress inflate itself over the course of the evening, but seeing as we are at altitude it fills up quite quickly. On this occasion I had been too lazy to setup my bedding earlier that evening and left it until late that night before preparing.

On leaving the truck and locking up, I proceeded towards my tent, roll mat in one hand, sleeping bag in the other, bag on my back and head torch on my head. Next thing I know I'm flying through the air and face planting hard into the concrete pavement. Turns out there was a cleverly camouflaged step that I was oblivious to. Luckily I didnt injure myself too badly. My poor nose took the brunt of the impact, made me literally see stars. Because both hands were full I was not able to save myself. My shin also was skinned from contact with the offending step that tried to kill me.

Terry and Lesley came hurrying to my aid, as they had seen a head torch diving at an unusual angle through the darkness. Despite being a little shook I was okay and headed back to my tent. I'm only thankful that I am not sporting two black eyes, nor did I break my nose, wrists or my two front teeth after my eventful evening. Still if the only injury I have after six months of travelling is a skinned nose, forehead and shin, well then I'll take that, thank you very much. Touch wood I haven't jinxed myself now!



































No comments:

Post a Comment